Thursday 17 February 2011

YSL Rouge Volupte #3 (Ultimate Beige)

I had a few questions about the lipstick I was wearing in yesterday's face of the day picture so I thought it might be useful to do some swatches and compare to some other colours that I already have.



I actually find it a little difficult to describe this colour. The Sephora website describe Ultimate Beige as a mauve taupe. As hilarious as that is for a known mauve taupe obsessive like me, I'm inclined to disagree a little. I would say this is a dark, peach toned nude. In fact I might go so far as to use the word orange but I think peach sounds less scary! However you choose to describe it, I think it looks much nicer on the lips than it might sound. I'm not sure it would suit all skin tones though and in fact this was a gift from a like-minded make fiend friend who found it didn't work for her.






It's a relatively unique colour in my collection but I thought it would be useful to compare to some other darker nude and flesh pink shades. I'm sorry I haven't labelled the pictures themselves but I was on a tight deadline! You can click on the pictures to enlarge.

From L-R: Hourglass Fresco, YSL Spicy Pink, Revlon Blush, MAC Blankety, MAC Cosmo, MAC Hug Me, YSL Ultimate Beige, Illamasqua Test

From L-R: Hourglass Fresco, YSL Spicy Pink, Revlon Blush, MAC Blankety, MAC Cosmo, MAC Hug Me, YSL Ultimate Beige, Illamasqua Test

From L-R: Hourglass Fresco, YSL Spicy Pink, Revlon Blush, MAC Blankety, MAC Cosmo, MAC Hug Me, YSL Ultimate Beige, Illamasqua Test

From L-R: Hourglass Fresco, YSL Spicy Pink, Revlon Blush, MAC Blankety, MAC Cosmo, MAC Hug Me, YSL Ultimate Beige, Illamasqua Test
Ultimate Beige has the usual Rouge Volupte texture and scent. If you haven't tried one before, they are pigmented and quite slippy/slick feeling. Despite how creamy they feel, they can dry my lips a little after a day of wear. The Rouge Volupte lipsticks cost £22 and you can get them from anywhere that stocks YSL. For those of you after a bargain, you can get this particular shade for a more purse friendly £15.90 from CheapSmells which I believe includes UK delivery (yes it is an awful name for a website but I've bought from them before with no problem).

17 comments:

  1. Thanks you for doing this, it's very helpful!

    On closer inspection I am pretty sure it'd be a wrong colour for me- but it does look very very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very sophisticated colour on you. I had one of these Volupte jobbies ones. It was a bright pink number...the sister tea leafed it :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing this, I had hoped only for swatches and pics of that one lippy not an arm load of comparisons, what a good blogger you are!! Of course am now strangely drawn to MAC Blankety after asking for more pics of YSL Ultimate beige! Might check out GOSH Darling on Sat although think might be too foundation lip. Am aiming for Jenny Frost on SMA lips, in fact all her make up on that looks fab. Now - used to be dire, clearly sacked stylist. Tangent. Off on one. thanks again x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie- Mac Blankety is FABULOUS! MY absolute go-to lippy, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, it looks beautiful on you! :-)))
    Nx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these kind of colours and it looks really nice on you. Thanks for the swatches Jane. I'm quite taken with Blankety too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I really want one of those YSL Lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely and creamy!I love the swatches, it's so good to be able to compare all the shades. I love the look of Blankety and have this on my 2011 list to buy lol but also like the look of Illamasqua Test :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its gorgeous on your skin tone doll!!And such a pretty colour it gives!!Thanks for the swatches!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jane, good post! It's always useful to compare these colours side-by-side since remembering similar colours can be so tricky!

    I was going through some of your older posts and read your review on Stila convertible colour. I can't remember which colour you had, but I just got it in Lillium recently and really want to recommend it to you for both lips and cheeks. It applies beautifully and looks quite similar to the Revlon Blush or Illamasqua Test. It's a colour I really think you'll enjoy!

    Cassie x

    http://shimmerdreamz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you! I never would have called this beige- it looks a dusky pink/brown on you and beige to 'me calls to mind more golden tones. You went above and beyond the call of duty with all the lovely swatches, thank you! You also reminded 'me that I want the Hourglass Fresco...:-)

    Oh and I discovered a fab cheapie taupe - 17 in Mardi Gras. Also picked up their new Photo Flawless Mascara and I am really impressed with it. Amazing what you can discover whilst waiting for a prescription ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this range of lipsticks! They're all so wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jane, thanks for this post. Could you refer to a photo of you wearing Test? I can't seem to find one. In some photos, the swatches look similar to the Revlon Blush lipstick and in others the Revlon lipstick looks warmer.

    I like MAC Cosmo and Hug Me too. I wish I had the others!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cheeky Beauty: You’re welcome. I find it difficult to describe this colour so I thought the swatches next to colours like Blankety would help.

    @Old Cow: Thank you, you sister sounds like a minx. It must have been a colour to warrant being tea leafed!

    @Debbie: Blankety is a nice colour, it’s as nude as I can really go without looking odd. Darling is a total no, no on me as you’ve probably seen. I don’t think there are many people that can successfully pull that one off. I have seriously no idea what SMA is (other than baby milk) am I missing out?

    @Nina: Thank you and Thank YOU for sending it to me. It’s certainly getting a lot of love xx

    @Leanne: Blankety is a nice one. I’m glad you enjoyed the swatches. It was interesting to see how they all compared.

    @GABY: Thank you! I’m tempted to get another one, not that I really need more lipsticks….

    @Sherrie: I’m really pleased the swatches are useful. Test is a lovely colour, I tend to wear it with a gloss though as it can feel a little dry otherwise. I find it lasts forever though.

    @Blushingloves: Thank you lovely, that’s really of you to say so. I hope the swatches are helpful.

    @Cassie: Thank you. Yes, I have Stila Orchid but I have wondered about Lilium before. Thank you for the recommendation.

    @FragrantWitch: Oh, I know Mardi Gras. I’ve swatched it a few times and almost picked it up for the taupe comparison :-). The foundation sounds interesting. Fresco is a lovely colour and I would highly recommend it. I think you can see though that the bullet is much shorter than other lipsticks.

    @dempss: I definitely have a penchant for the wearable fleshy colours!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Simone. I don't think I have a picture on my blog of me wearing test on it own. There's a picture here of me wearing it with a gloss over the top. It's definitely not as warm as Blush, I would say Blush is more peachy whereas Test is definitely pink. It's quite similar to MAC Modesty lipstick in colour if you've ever swatched that.

    Let me know if you need more pictures :D
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I positively love it, but.. "mauve taupe"? Well, that's a definition that would suit Blankety more, and this one is no Blankety!!! Deffo a peachy/nude/beige like u said! ;)

    Still, that doesn't take anything away from its beauty!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know, Mauve Taupe is a very strange way to describe it. Quite misleading for those buying online with no swatches/pictures. I can imagined puzzled faces when this colour turns up! As you say, it's still very nice however you choose to describe it. It's a happy addition to my lipstick family!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails