Wednesday 29 August 2012

What's with the name?

One question I'm asked on a fairly regular basis is where did the name Modesty Brown come from? The time has finally come to answer this question properly, so here goes (it's not nearly as exciting as you might think)..

THIS

MAC+Modesty2

+

THIS

Burberry+Rosewood3

= Modesty Brown

Well, I was hardly going to call myself Modesty Taupe, was I?! I can tell you're disappointed.

When I first started my blog, I didn't spend anywhere near enough thinking about the name and how I'd feel about it two and a half years later. I don't know how many people refer to the contents on their makeup bag to create a pseudonym but it's not to be recommended. However, the name has stuck and I'm too lazy to start again from scratch with a more catchy (or appropriate) title.

MAC Modesty cremesheen was the lipstick that introduced me to wearing lipstick everyday and the very first lipstick I completely finished. I really did love it. However, I never got around to repurchasing it. When I realised I had enough empties for a couple of Back to MAC lipsticks, Modesty was at the top of my list. Strangely, it's not really the colour I remembered, as I was certain it had more of a mauve hue. Seeing it again, I'd describe it as a beige pink with very fine flecks of gold.

Texture wise, this can't hold a candle to the luxurious feel of a Rouge Bunny Rouge or Edward Bess lipstick. It's interesting to see how my exposure to new brands over the course of blogging have influenced my taste in makeup. Having said all that, I'm very pleased we've been reunited.

MAC+Modesty4

MAC+Modesty6
Modesty is on the left (the other swatch is MAC Rebel)

Is there an items of makeup that you always think of fondly?

15 comments:

  1. Hahahaha Modesty Taupe does have a certain je-ne-sais-quois going for it...
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Modesty lipstick makes me look ill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I though you took the name from the British comic strip/ movies from the 1960s called "Modesty Blaise" and just tweaked the last bit and called your blog "Modesty Brown" Cool blog name though. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it weird how one finds a name - when I first went onto ebay a billion years ago I was led through a click by click menu of how to pick a user name. I ended up with my name, my date of birth and my favourite colour - how catchy is that! I always think that Modesty Brown is completely right for your blog because it is not shouty or in your face but careful and thought out, I think that you downplay your tremendous blogging skills xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it definatly suits the blog! This post inspired me to finally stop being scared and start my own blog...see how long that lasts lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Modesty is an old favorite of mine as well! We really do have similar tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a charming story--and a clever way to pick a beauty blog name, I think! Oddly, I got a rather classic vibe from your blog name; I think it sort of reminded me of Capability Brown. ;) Regardless, I like it, and think it suits your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had assumed your last name was Brown and that you were modest ergo Modesty Brown. Good think I know differently now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. Modesty Taupe! I think it's time to change the name of your blog! Hahahaha! I'm laughing so much! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THIS POST, Jane!!! I love the origin of your blog name-- it's wonderful. Please never consider changing the name-- it so suits the blog! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah - now I understand! (I always think your blog should have the subtitle "Girl About Town" though)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew about the taupe bit but didn't know about the modesty bit haha :)
    liloo/@tsunimee xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebel looks lovely. I am still looking for a perfect berry lippy for autumn and this might be the one?

    Modesty Taupe? hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering about your blog's name a while back, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, I suspected all along that MAC Modesty was your source of inspiration! Great classic shade! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails